The St. Louis Chapter Technology & Scholarship Awards Night was held April 20 at Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood. The night consisted of a buffet dinner including two free drink tickets, presentations by Technology Award winners, a presentation about the Sustainability Project for the 2016 Annual Conference, and scholarships awards to students. In addition, members were allowed to bring a non-member for free.
This year, the Chapter received five project submittals which won Chapter Technology Awards. Three of those will be eligible to go on to compete at the Regional Level. The projects winning Chapter Awards this year were:
- McDonnell & Brauer Hall at Mary Institute and St Louis Country Day School (1st Place)
- Bruce Levitt & Lisa Sombart of William Tao & Associates
- Campus Geothermal Energy System at Missouri University of Science & Technology (1st Place)
- Phil Wentz, Shannon Gilligan, & Ajay Bhargava of McClure Engineering
- New Science Complex at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville (1st Place)
- Andy Rein, BRiC Partnership
- Northeast Classroom Building at Lake Land College (2nd Place)
- Rory Stegeman, CM Engineering
- Anna Smith Residence Hall at Berea College (2nd Place)
- Eric Utterson, 8760 Engineering
The St. Louis Chapter has been privileged to have had two projects win awards at the Regional Level last year, including one First Place Award for William Tao & Associates’ project at the St Louis County Library Central Branch. Thanks to all of this year’s participants and winners for your submissions and presentations, and best of luck in future Regional competition!
Next, students participating in the Sustainability Project being featured at the 2016 Annual Conference presented on the project. As the 2016 Annual Conference will be held in St. Louis, tradition has it that a Sustainability Project be completed by the host city. The ASHRAE Community Sustainability Project Program is designed to share the engineering knowledge of our members to improve the world around them.
Vinny Stanec of AC Systems worked with Pat O’Brien of Dynamic Engineered Systems to assist students from Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville to design and begin implementation of the Sustainability Project in preparation for the 2016 Annual Conference. The project involves upgrading the Chappee Cottage Residential Building at Beverly Farm, a home for adults with developmental disabilities, providing each individual with physical and emotional security and a dignified quality of life. The building needs a new boiler, updated controls, a new condensing unit, and an improved building envelope. If you are interested in financially supporting this project or otherwise volunteering, please contact email email@example.com.
To close the evening, Chapter student scholarships were awarded. Through fundraising completed by the Chapter, Jim Ertel of the Student Activities Committee was able to present over $8,700 to students. The Chapter also presented the ASHRAE Society Scholarship of $5,000 to Scott Tucci of Missouri University of Science & Technology.
Chapter Scholarship Award Winners this year were:
- Brandon Bequette – University of Missouri – St. Louis / Washington University
- Kyle DeProw – Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville
- Paul Cefaratti – Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville
- Rolla Starkey – Missouri University of Science & Technology
- Scott Tucci – Missouri University of Science & Technology
All in all, the night was a great way to end the ASHRAE year. Thanks to all who attended, and we’ll see you next year!