MAKE YOUR RESERVATION TODAY FOR:
Monday, February 9th, 2015
4:15 – 4:45 Registration & Networking
4:45 – 5:35 Tech Session
5:45 – 7:00 Dinner and Main Session
Understanding Fire & Smoke Damper Application Requirements
This seminar presents a Fire and Smoke Damper Summary for HVAC engineers and designers based on the 2009 & 2012 International Building Codes. After attending, the participant will better understand the differences between Fire Walls, Fire Barriers, Shaft Enclosures, and Fire Partitions and between a Smoke Barrier and Smoke Partition, so that one can properly apply (or not apply) fire and smoke dampers where they are required, but only when required.
Dinner and Main Session
Now that you know where to locate the life safety dampers. How?
After learning about the basic requirements for locating fire and smoke rated (life safety) dampers in the technical session, we will further examine the applications and requirements of installation. The agenda includes a discussion on damper interfaces between fire alarms and building control systems.
Stephen W. Duda, PE – Senior Mechanical Engineer for Ross & Baruzzini, Inc.
- ASHRAE Fellow.
- Senior Mechanical Engineer for Ross & Baruzzini, Inc. an Engineering/Architectural design & consulting firm headquartered in St. Louis, MO; since 1996.
- Education: MS, Mechanical Engineering, 1988, University of Dayton / BS, Mechanical Engineering, 1985, University of Dayton.
- Registered Professional Engineer (MO, IL, AL, TN) and LEED AP BD+C.
- ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP).
- ASHRAE-Certified Healthcare Facility Design Professional (HFDP).
- ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP).
- Recipient of the ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award (2009).
- Author of five (5) ASHRAE Conference Papers.
- 11 Seminar Presentations at national ASHRAE Conferences.
- Recurring Columnist for ASHRAE Journal “Engineer’s Notebook” series (three columns per year) and three full-length featured technical articles.
- Section 8 Head and Member of ASHRAE TAC (Technical Activities Committee) 2011-2015.
- Member of ASHRAE Standard 15 Committee “Safety Standard for Refrigeration Systems.” July 2002 to June 2014.
- Active Member of ASHRAE Technical Committees 2.07, 4.03, 8.02 & 9.01.
Peter McDonnell – Senior Mechanical Engineer and Principal, McClure Engineering
Peter McDonnell is a Senior Mechanical Engineer and Principal with McClure Engineering in St Louis, MO. He is currently Vice-Chairman of ASHRAE Technical Committee TC 5.6 _ Fire and Smoke and voting member of TC 9.4 _ Justice Facilities. He is well versed on ASHRAE Standard 90.1 and has been invited to speak on the topic at the ASHRAE STL Chapter and at the Engineering Green Conferences. Mr. McDonnell has also lectured at the ASHRAE Ozarks Chapter on Energy & Green Design Practices.
A registered LEED AP_BD&C and a PE in CA, FL and MO. Peter has 30 years of experience in all phases of mechanical engineering analysis and design for HVAC systems, thermal energy storage, smoke management, plumbing and fire protection systems for all building types. In addition, he served as an Adjunct Professor in the Construction Engineering Program at the University of Central Florida.
12031 Lackland Rd,
St. Louis, MO 63146
Chapter Members Cost $0.00*
* when chapter dues paid
Non-Members Cost $25.00
Cash, Credit Card, or Check, on arrival,
Or – Credit Cards /w Online payment.
Everyone must register even if you have paid local dues.
ONLINE: Click on hyperlink below or copy and paste the URL into your browser: https://ashrae-stl.org/registration/ Please make sure that you fill in all the information requested, press ‘submit’ and then complete the form to the point where you hit ‘confirm’. Thank you.
PHONE: Must be called into 314-925-4818, no later than noon, Thursday, February 5th, 2015. This number is in operation 24 hours a day. CANCELLATION: You may cancel up to 8:00am on Monday before the meeting. If not canceled by this point you will be responsible for the meeting cost of $25.
PDH CERTIFICATES: Will be emailed to attendees as requested during online registrations.